Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Waiting for Godot...

This piece has absolutely nothing to do with a book of similar title, it’s just that I have ascribed the phrase “Waiting for Godot” to mean waiting endlessly for something that may never happen.

The day begins so well; everything seems to have fallen in place and just in time too. I’ve looked forward to this day when everything will be perfect for “it” to happen. I am standing on the balcony of my house, looking out at the world before me. Yes, everything really appears to be ready for “it”. The temperature is just right, the winds sublime, seeming to usher in waves of blessings. The sun isn’t as scorching as it usually is. I can hear the peaceful chirping of the birds in the trees singing harmoniously, in fact, they are playing my song! Heralding my success at accomplishing “it”. What a wonder. I can smell “it” in the air- Perfection! Aaah!!! How I have waited for this moment, in fact, waited all my life, and now “it” is here.

I say to myself “My plans will now fall in place, my dreams will see the light of day, finally, I will accomplish “it”, what I’ve always wanted to do will now become reality”.

I rush out into the day, I must bring “it” to pass, I must do all I can to make sure “it” works, everything is just right, isn’t it? I check again just to be sure, yes… everything is fine. The sun is still shining, the winds are mild, and the air is cool. So I rush ahead. It appears everyone and everything knows I’m going to accomplish “it” today because everything is just falling in place. I’m happy, after waiting this long, certainly “it” must be accomplished today.

And then, just at the time when “it” is supposed to happen, “it” doesn’t.

The wind has changed, becoming wild, swirling fiercely all about, taking everything in it’s presence away, and upturning all in it’s path. The sun runs away seeking cover behind the clouds which have gathered fiercely to support the wind in its fight against the accomplishment of “it”. And my ensemble of singing birds? They’ve disappeared! Not even one is left behind to lift my soul and persuade me to go on. You ask “persuade me to go on?” yes, persuade me to go on for I have given up. After waiting for “it” for so long, now nothing!

I’m crestfallen. I’d been so expectant, waiting for “it” to happen. It is the end of another cycle and again, I haven’t accomplished “it”.

“If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done”- The Bible

The reality of life is that there are no perfect conditions/ situations/ environments/ circumstances etc. “Waiting for Godot” as I like to call it is the best killer of so many dreams. Also known as procrastinating; waiting till everything seems right before taking a step has killed dreams before they even saw the light of day. The truth is that, the sun will not always shine, neither will the wind always blow. Things will not always turn out the way we expect every time, so we need to be prepared to act irrespective of our external environment.

If we think about it real hard, we'll realise that we can create our own environment. You can determine your weather! So get up and go right now!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stumble upon this blog and this is the wonderful article for a monday morning.

Chris said...

This is great keep it up